Set the scene of your next dinner party with contemporary table settings that will wow your guests! Elegant table décor will enhance any occasion, and provide a warm and inviting environment for your guests. There are many different options when it comes to setting a dinner table, however the occasion or situation will dictate the appropriate setting. Select a theme and don’t shy from adding a pop of color.
Ensure you make your guests as comfortable as possible. Only put out utensils that will be used, so that you don’t clutter the table and take away from the overall atmosphere. To avoid clutter, the general rule is to avoid three utensils on either side of the dinner plate at a given time. Shop around for fresh, colorful, and unique dinnerware, glassware and table linens and show them off in the best way possible. Following these simple seven steps to set the perfect dinner table for a birthday bash or gathering of friends and family.
1. Start with a place mat or charger –place mats are lovely, but if you use a charger, you really don’t need the place mats
2. Pull out your best china- place the dinner plate on top of the charger and don’t be afraid to mix up your china
3. Napkins-nicely pressed and folded, and placed to the left of the dinner plate, on top of the plate, or under the forks.
4. Silverware placement—Forks should be placed to the left of the dinner plate (, while knife and spoon should be placed to the right. Place the silverware in the order in which it will be used; being cautious to work from the outside in.
5. Glassware (water, white, and red)-at the top right of the plate; water glass in front, white wine glass for first course, and lastly red wine glassware.
6. Candles and lighting- should match the tone of the event
7. Place card- can be as simple or formal as necessary and can even attach them to a little present.
8. Add a nice centerpiece of Hydrangeas or Orchids (my favorite) to bring life to your dinner table.