Many of you have emailed in my “Ask Quad” section wanting tips on how to keep your precious pups off your furniture. Well, we all know that it’s a natural instinct for your little lambs to want to jump on the couch when they see you sitting there. However, pets on your furniture lead to hair on your clothes and scratch marks on your beautiful upholstery. Not to mention the odor that may be left behind…and hunty, we don’t do odors over here! No ma’am.
The technique that I would like to share with you is with aluminum foil, which will surely keep your precious pup on the floor. Here’s how:
- Tear lengths of aluminum foil the length of the couch. Depending on the depth of the couch, you may need two sheets.
- Place the aluminum foil strips along the seat of the couch. Fold the edge of the foil over the outer edge of the couch. Although the sound is the primary discouragement for the dog, the reflecting light from aluminum foil is discouraging, as well.
- Sit on the couch, on top of the foil. When the dog tries to climb on the couch to be next to you, the foil makes a sound that most dogs dislike.
- Tell your dog “Down” or “Off” in a quiet voice when it tries to climb up next to you. If necessary, use your hand to gently push the dog back down to the floor before it climbs up.
- Reward your dog for getting down. Give it a treat, a pat and a kind word.
- Repeat Steps 3, 4 and 5 until your dog learns to stay off the couch.
Let me know how this works out for you and I have plenty more tricks coming your way!
Do you have problems with your pup?